at NORDAKADEMIE in
Your semester abroad
For many students, spending a semester abroad at a foreign university is the highlight of their time at university. Experiencing a new culture, expanding personal networks and acquiring new academic knowledge certainly contributes to personal growth. At NORDAKADEMIE, students enjoy a small and idyllic campus that is located just outside the thriving metropolis of Hamburg. Hamburg is Germany’s second biggest city and has plenty on offer to enrich the international exchange experience.
At NORDAKADEMIE, a semester abroad combines first-class teaching in small learner groups with high practical relevance in the field of business and economics. NORDAKADEMIE maintains top positions in Germany’s most relevant university ranking (CHE), received the 2017 award for ecologically sustainable business, and is accredited by the European, internationally oriented agency for quality assurance and quality development in higher education (FIBAA).
for a semester abroad at NORDAKADEMIE
- You study at a modern university where teaching staff has a strong academic and professional background.
- You experience internationally renowned visiting professors.
- You acquire knowledge from a university that maintains top positions in Germany’s most relevant university ranking.
- You study in small groups, which allows you to establish strong exchange with fellow students and teaching staff.
- You study within the framework of an international student programme that offers you flexibility in module selection at the same time.
- You can join a free German language course.
- You have a “student buddy” to ease your transition into an unfamiliar university.
- You are part of an exciting student life with a variety of events and offers on-campus.
- You have the possibility to reside on-campus.
- You study in the greater area of Hamburg, Germany’s second biggest city. Hamburg is famous for its diverse cultural life and energetic atmosphere.
From application to semester start
your way to NORDAKADEMIE
You need to submit your application by XX.XX.XXXX. Only complete applications will be accepted, and must contain:
- NORDAKADEMIE application forms
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of motivation
- Transcript of records
- Proof of English language ability (minimum higher B2 level). You must provide ONE of the following language certificates:
- FCE First Certificate in English (min. grade B) or
- IELTS Academic (min. band score 6.5) or
- TOEFL iBT (min. 100 points)
- ERASMUS and individual university partnership students are not required to provide a proof of English language ability
- You must be enrolled full-time at your home university
- You must have studied in the field of business and economics for at least one year
+++ Please contact us (see bottom of page) and we will E-Mail you an Application Form. +++
If there is no ERASMUS partnership with your home university or any other contractual agreement, the tuition fees for a semester abroad at NORDAKADEMIE are € 2,500. The tuition fees include lectures, assessments and the use of all student services on-campus, such as the student lounge with modern entertainment electronics and sports equipment, the library as well as study rooms.
Once you have been accepted
You may have been offered to rent a room in the on-campus student accommodation. If not, you need to arrange for alternative accommodation.
On-campus student accommodation with a total of 60 single rooms. All rooms have an ensuite shower and WiFi, and are furnished with a bed, desk, bedside table and wardrobe. There are washing and drying facilities as well as a shared kitchen on each floor. Room availability is limited, thus cannot be guaranteed.
Alternatively, you can rent private accommodation off-campus in the local area.
Average rent per room per semester on-campus accommodation: €1,300
Average rent per room per semester private accommodation off-campus: €1,500
Arriving at NORDAKADEMIE
Our campus in Elmshorn maintains an active student life.
Campus life and surroundings – What can you expect from your stay at NORDAKADEMIE?
Many students spend the time between lectures in the lounge, where comfortable furniture, table soccer, pool tables and modern entertainment electronics invite you to make new friends. The green campus with its trees and grass, pond and basketball field also invite you to relax. Together with its canteen and coffee shop, NORDAKADEMIE offers ideal conditions for recreation, social exchange and a varied daily routine. Students have 24/7 access to computer and study rooms, and can use the library with on-site sources and access to online research databases.
Elmshorn itself has about 50,000 inhabitants and offers everything you need for everyday life. The train to Hamburg takes 30 minutes, allowing you to experience Northern Germany’s most important port, which is connected to the North Sea via the Elbe River. Hamburg consists of a network of hundreds of canals, and has a multitude of beautiful parks. The latter offer a wide range of activities all year round, from outdoor concerts and events in summer, to ice-skating in winter.
Hamburg also maintains one of Germany’s most beautiful and historic Christmas markets, commencing in late November. The inner city lake Binnenalster is surrounded by fantastic shopping opportunities and cafes, and invites both locals and visitors alike to hire boats. Hamburg’s trendy suburbs Schanze, Grindel and Altona are in walking distance from the city centre. The nearby North Sea is home to the UNESCO world heritage site Wattenmeer (Wadden Sea), a multitude of inhabited islands, and beaches where you can park your car right on the waterfront.
- The week before the semester commences, you have the chance to get to know the university, its campus and people during the 2-day orientation event.
- “Student buddies” facilitate your transition into an unfamiliar university environment, and help you getting organised.
- You have the opportunity to participate in a weekend excursion to the capital of Berlin in the course of your semester abroad.
One of the largest Private Universities in Germany in the field of business and economics.
The university cooperates closely with the industries. It is the university’s vision and mission to contribute to society and industry through the education and training of our students in the best possible way. The promotion of gender equality, equal opportunities and ecological sustainability are integral parts of university life as well as the curriculum.
In 2015, the commission for sustainable development certified NORDAKADEMIE in relation to the sustainability codex. As such, corporate social responsibility is a central concern of the university. Fair trade products in the canteen and coffee shop, energy efficient buildings and teaching that incorporates CSR topics are key. As a subscriber to the Charter of Diversity, NORDAKADEMIE is also committed to the principle of fairness and equal opportunities. Our officers for equal opportunities and for students in special circumstances are committed to ensuring that NORDAKADEMIE lives up to this claim and that all students, regardless of gender, disability or origin, have equal opportunities to participate.
NORDAKADEMIE maintains top positions in Germany’s most important university ranking (CHE), received the 2017 award for ecologically sustainable business, and is accredited by the European, internationally oriented agency for quality assurance and quality development in higher education (FIBAA).